It’s been a while since I last updated this blog and honestly, I felt that time has gone by so quickly this year. As I wrote this post, I was still in the midst of my travels for Eid celebration, so I had to steal some alone time between the hectic to re-evaluate my earlier 2019 goals and what had actually happened in the past 6 months. I want this post to be simplified, so I will only share some major events and few lessons that I’ve learned along the way.
On Life and Work
Some living situation has changed. I had to allocate most of my time and energy for packing, moving, cleaning and getting rid of old stuff. This tedious task is still on-going and hopefully I could get everything settle by end June. Not only I was physically exhausted, it drained my mental energy too. In terms of job-related, I didn’t manage to fix a steady income flow, which means this process in making sure I am financially secured will continue throughout next quarter. With my health limitation, this is definitely one of the real struggle.
In February, I went for a short trip to Bali for the second time. I hope to share more about this trip in upcoming posts (I know it has been on my pending-list for few months, sorry about that). I was mostly anxious pre-trip due to health concerns and I had not travel to overseas close to 5 years or so. I did a thorough preparation before that. All in all, the trip was okay and I’m glad that I pushed myself through it. I really love travelling and I hope I could do more trips in future.
On Books and Writing
I set a target to read 15 books this year and I’m already halfway through it. They were considered as ‘research books’ and I felt less pressure by setting smaller reading goals. I also used a Reading Journal/Logbook to write my thoughts after I finished reading a book. I felt this was one of my little victories, finishing books cover to cover. I also bought a couple of new books and broke my self book-buying ban.
My manuscript work has halted as I had to put more focus on real life stuff. Occasionally I did brainstorm and added more scenes whenever any random ideas pops out. I wanted to put more preparation work to the manuscript as what I have planned earlier this year. Aside from that, I also make sure that I always update my planner and journal.
On Random Stuff
Fun stuff. I did a re-marathon of Game of Thrones and watched the final season. I also re-marathon How To Train Your Dragon and John Wick series and watched the 3rd installment. I am yet to watch the final season of The Big Bang Theory and do a re-marathon of Star Wars (the movies, the series, the anthologies) before this December. As for gaming related, I finished playing Witcher 1, played a lot of SWTOR with gaming buddies and now on Witcher 3. Other than that, I had my first attempt to bake soft chewy cookies. I took care various types of plants, breed them, and also gave them to new owners without any charges. I did some new sketches and practiced doodling with ink. My parents finally came to visit my house after some renovation work and even though they came just for a while, I was so happy. I hope they could visit more.
What I’ve Learned
There were couple of things that I observed and learned in the first half of this year:
- If I put a little effort, as little as 5 minutes to do something productive, a lot of things can be done and it’s not impossible.
- As a hardcore hermit, I learned to push myself a bit to go out and explore the world.
- Crossing off to-do list brings a really good feeling and a sense of achievement.
- I still need to adjust my sleeping schedule; for an insomniac night owl, this is the hardest. I still tried to get enough sleep as best as I could and took a break when I needed a rest.
- Fixed daily routines doesn’t work for me. Setting weekly targets works best for me, I accomplished more than I thought.
- I was able to quickly shift my mood and thoughts; I acknowledged my feelings (I have a daily mood tracker for that) and did not let negative energy consumed me for too long. I poured everything out, then I let go of things that were beyond my control and move on. I always kept myself busy and occupied most of the time to stay away from obstructive thoughts. This is another little victory that I’m proud of.
- I tend to be more silent when argument arise. At this phase of my life, it’s like when someone argued 2+2 equals to 5, I will just say okay, you win, take your trophy and just leave me alone. I’m much happier that I don’t have to stay in the same room, on the same mind level.
- I felt that I was much closer to God (especially during Ramadhan which I love), like fulfilling more prayers and stuff. God is good really, I just need to have patience.
Next Goals and Plans
Next plan is to update my Life Masterplan (my savior) and come out with next quarter goals. This time, I want to give myself more space and time to complete my goals and not cramming every single thing.
There was also one occurrence before this that I was feeling overwhelmed about the long list of things that I wanted to accomplish in life. I randomly came across a video about time management and how we should work from our calendar and time and not from our list. I realized that my list tends to get longer and longer because everything seems important to me. What I lack of was task prioritization and time blocks, which I plan to work on in the upcoming weeks.
Other than random income work and translation work, I also have to do some preparation work like finish setting up my home office and housekeep my phone gallery and notes. I love the creative side of life and I wanted to draw more focus on my art too. I plan to continue with my reading goals, listen to more creative-related podcast, do brisk-walking, set a cut off time for gadgets and set time aside for spiritual stuff and mental-health related.
Few days before Ramadhan, I lost a dear friend to cancer. She is someone who always read my blog, my stories or whatever crap I wrote and she is no longer here. I’m sending my thoughts to you dear strong girl. For some reason, I still feel that you are reading this post. Maybe you are :’).